Energy Storage Systems
Alternative Energy Southeast offers many energy storage system (ESS) solutions for homes and businesses. Most are programmed to work automatically with no user-intervention required.
The Tesla Powerwall has earned its place as our most popular ESS, but there are situations where we still recommend a conventional battery system such as lead-acid, AGM, salt-water, or others.
AES can design/build ESS for any situation
- Backup Power - If you want to backup just your important appliances, your entire house or critical systems to keep your business running AES will deliver a system that you can rely on when it matters most. Our backup power systems are usually coupled with solar PV so the batteries can be recharged when the sun is out. We'll discuss your needs to ensure the system meets your unique needs.
- Off-Grid System - If you want to go totally off-the-grid, AES can do that too. We will analyze your power consumption and tailor the size of your off-grid system. The investment necessary to go completely off-grid is considerable for most homes and businesses, but we will help you make sense of the options.
- Daily Cycling w/ PV - Most power companies in Georgia only pay a fraction of the retail value for your excess solar power. A Daily Cycling system uses a battery to store excess solar energy during the day so you can use it at night or anytime power demand in the building exceeds solar production. For slightly more, we can also design this system to provide reliable backup power if the grid shuts down.
- Time of Use (ToU) Arbitrage - Certain utilities, such as Georgia Power, offer rates plans that are drastically lower all year long except for a few hours on summer weekdays. These systems use stored energy to supply power to the building when rates are high. This can substantially lower your cost per unit of electricity while having an ESS on standby for backup power. AES will help you determine if ToU Arbitrage is feasible for your location.
- Peak Shaving - Large commercial and industrial facilities on a RTP (real-time pricing) rate plan can use ESS to supply power when rates are high. The batteries can then be recharged using solar power or power from the grid when utility rates drop.
Tesla Powerpack for Commercial ESS
For large commercial ESS, where the storage capacity needs are greater than 400 kWh and 3-phase output is required, our go-to is the Tesla Powerpack. The Tesla Powerpack is an outdoor rated, densely packed lithium battery that has 200 kWh of storage capacity per unit. When coupled with Tesla's own 50 kW inverters the Powerpack can provide a serious amount of power. Tesla is using Powerpacks to build a “battery farm” in Austrailia that will power tens of thousands of homes. Powerpacks can be used for all of the ESS options that are listed above.
AES is certified to design and install with the following brands:
Tesla Powerwall and Powerpack - Our most popular ESS option, the Tesla Powerwall and Powerpack are lithium-ion batteries that can be mounted indoors or outdoors. The Powerwall boasts 13.5 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of storage capacity. Their prices are highly competitive and the product comes with a 10 year warranty. With Tesla's lithium supply mined and refined locally, the company strategically and patriotically built the "Gigafactory" in Nevada, USA for manufacturing of these products. With the ability to cost-efficiently stack up 9 Powerwalls, and a 120/240-volt output, whole-home backup or off-grid power is more feasible than ever before, thanks to Tesla.
LG Chem - LG earned a name for itself in the solar industry from their highly efficient and super-sleek black solar panels. Their ESS product is also a high-quality, decent-priced piece of equipment. It comes in two sizes at 7 or 9.8 kWh which also correlates with a lower price for a home that only need a modest amount of storage to capture extra solar power and/or serve as a backup power supply. LG Chem can power your critical 120-volt loads such as your fridge, freezer, microwave fans and/or lights as well as medium-duty 240-volt loads such as a well-pump. The battery shares an inverter with solar so it is most cost effective when purchased with a solar array.
sonnenBatterie - This German-engineered product has a factory in Atlanta GA. This company is targeting the residential ESS market. Sonnen is produced in several sizes ranging from 4 to 16 kWh. Besides it's sleek look and on-board touchscreen display, one of most the attractive aspects of this product is the 10,000 cycle battery warranty - That's one full cycle a day for 27.4 years! Like many of its competitors, the product itself is warranted for 10 years but Sonnen has an extra impressive battery warranty which easily makes up for its higher price when comparing the cost per warranted battery cycle.
OutbackPower Radian - Outback has been in the backup/off-grid power industry for much longer than most other companies can claim. They have a variety of products that AES has been installing for many years. Their units can be paired with virtually any battery on the market such as flooded lead-acid, valve regulated lead-acid, and even lithium type cells. This product is for the type of customer who wants to have complete control over their ESS. With several built in relays and an automatic generator start circuit the Outback Radian is a highly capable of serving the most demanding off-grid/backup power needs. A unique trait of the Radian system is that DC loads can be used with this system. DC lighting and appliances have many benefits over their AC counterparts such as lower heat loss and no inverter losses which is what makes DC loads ultra efficient. Radian systems can also be programmed for Time-of-Use arbitrage.
SMA Sunny Island - This product is used to connect together multiple solar and energy storage systems to complete what's called a micro-grid. This system has high reliability due to multiple power sources being interconnected. It can be paired with other brands of inverters and batteries.
Each of those has unique characteristics. By working with so many brands we have a solution for multiple scenarios rather than offering a one-size-fits-all approach like many of our competitors do. When customers call us for ESS services our expert solar consultants will help them to choose which option will meet their needs and their budget.